With Local Nature
- Dive into websites. For example Calscape, iNaturalist, and Calflora
- Help the UCI Herbarium transcribe their collections - and learn new plants
- Watch/listen to nature videos and podcasts. Start with,
- Imagine your Dream Garden. Think Nature. Share it. Build it, even if just piece by piece.
- Plant native plants. Check hours at these nurseries with year-round inventories:
Tree of Life Nursery, inland from San Juan Capistrano near Caspers Wilderness Park
California Botanic Garden, Claremont
Theodore Payne Foundation, Sun Valley
Roger's Gardens, Newport Beach
Find more nurseries on Calscape
- What to plant now – Calscape
- Add pollinator and habitat plants –Calscape, Calflora
- Monthly garden chores
- Go for a walk
- Share photos of the native plants you see to iNaturalist or Calflora
- Learn to identify new native plants along a trail
- Hunt for high priority invasive plants in secluded areas and report them
The Orange County Chapter of The California Native Plant Society provides speakers on the topic of native plants.
OCCNPS is a non-profit organization of volunteers devoted to the conservation of California’s native plants and their natural habitats, and to increasing the understanding, appreciation, and horticultural use of our native plants. Through our activities we fund native plant outreach efforts, research and educational grants, field studies, symposium, conservation efforts and other important work.
Our programs are best suited for groups with an interest in California native plants, local natural history, the outdoors and similar topics. Because our programs are presented by volunteers, availability varies. Please inquire with your program preference, but also include one or two alternatives where possible.
Our requested donation helps fund our outreach, conservation and education efforts and helps to offset the travel costs of our speaker’s.
For more information or to schedule a presentation please contact us.
Our current program offerings: